Saturday, May 26, 2012

Fanny's getting a little annoyed

Me and the wife went down to install the new chocks and sort out all the dock lines on Thursday evening. The first two went pretty smoothly, and then we moved to the stern and I installed the port one myself, but I needed the wife to go into the sail locker to hold a wrench on the nuts for the one on the starboard side. As she was crawling in, she neglected to tie down the lid on the sail locker, and a gust of wind knocked it onto her head. Ended up requiring 4 stitches at the Med Center (of course, this is after we finished our work, after she managed to staunch the bleeding).

I returned the following afternoon and did a few more minor cosmetic repairs. Started working on the brightwork, the bow toerail just past the nav lights, the wood underneath the traveler, sanding and varnishing. I painted all 4 of the cowl vents inside and out (used some blue paint from Keenan's old bedroom for the inside), fixed the anchor contraption that got bent out of shape last season, reinstalled the ceiling mounts for the 'docking pole'. She's scheduled for launch next week, and we should be able to go sailing by the first full week of June (we figure all the severe 'boat bites' we got were from Fanny being annoyed at still being in her cradle this close to Memorial Day with all her pals already bobbing in their slips and at their mooring balls - hopefully it will make it up to her being in this new comfy marina).

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Another Saturday Boat Prep

Got a lot done yesterday. I repaired the bow woodwork that got damaged last year (we are still looking for some replacement chocks), and while I was installing those, Terri got the topsides washed down, plus I installed the new holding tank vent that got also got damaged last season. After a late lunch at G&L's, we worked together on painting the bottom with VC17. Looking pretty good, and almost ready for launch. Still to do: chocks replaced, interior cleaned up, dock lines inventoried and set out for the delivery to our new slip.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cold afternoon at the boat

Me and the wife went out on Saturday afternoon to get started on the boat repairs prior to spring launch (which we are hoping to do later this month, by Memorial Day). We installed the hand rails that I had refinished over the winter, along with the door panels and the tiller. We sanded and primed the rust spots on the keel, and I sawed through the toe rail at the bow and removed the two line chocks that had gotten damaged last season. They came apart in several pieces so I took them home and put them back together jigsaw puzzle style and fashioned some replacement teak parts that I'll be installing next weekend. Next up: Painting the bottom with VC17 (which we haven't done in a couple years), and cleaning out the interior, which seems to have grown a layer of mildew over the winter (probably due to the warm winter and early spring, with the boat covered throughout it). Weather's looking nice and itching to get back out on the water.