Sunday, May 31, 2009

First Sail of the Season


Me and Terri drove out to Muskegon on Sunday for our first sail of the '09 season. Keenan wasn't interested in coming along, but Lady was pleased to tag along. We managed to unclog the cockpit scupper with a plumbers snake I had purchased, and we managed to exit the slip with no mishaps, and once out on the water, raised the mainsail and killed the engine. We started out slowly, making a decent couple knots with just the main on a close beam, heading north across Lake Muskegon. We found ourselves at one point in the middle of a regatta (even though I thought I was being careful to avoid it, the route must've changed at some point), hopefully not interfering with any of the boats too badly. We attempted to sail out the channel, but the wind got a bit too fluky, and had to resort to the engine for most of it. Once out on Lake Michigan, the breezes freshened up and we had a beautiful sail out to the southwest for about an hour. Temps were a bit chilly today, and we both were bundled up with extra jackets from the clothing locker.
The trip back through the channel was more productive, we managed to sail completely back, and did it in what felt like record time, with little or no monkeying around with the sail configurations. We only ran into a little glitch on the way back to the marina, when our 'engine overheat' alarm went off just as we were about to the marina entrance. We managed to keep our heads and get the boat back in her slip without too much trouble, but then did a bit or poking about the engine and the intake hoses to try and figure out the problem. We unscrewed the intake filter and when we reattached it ran the engine for a spell to see if the engine overheated again, but it seemed to be fine after that. Perhaps we just sucked up some sort of debris that clogged the water intake temporarily, because we never had a problem with it while leaving the slip or while riding out the channel earlier in the day.

Anyhow a beautiful day, and nice to see we still sort of know what we're doing (although I'm not certain I have the reef lines properly configured just yet) -- battery 1

(photo above: spinnakers on the lake - part of the regatta we unsuccessfully tried to avoid today)

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Memorial Day

Drove down Saturday to hank on the sails and give the boat a generalized once over. Easiest the sails have gone on in our 5 years. Not enough wind to sail (but there were lots of boats out on the lake crawling across the water with limp sails), so we decided not to take her out today. Also ran into a problem with the bilge pumps - not working, and they should be hooked directly up to the battery. Not sure if they have both failed (the fuses looked alright), or if they are just not hooked up correctly. We also cleaned up the decks with a good scrubbing, and rearranged some of the dock lines. While scrubbing, we noticed that one of the cockpit scuppers isn't draining, so we need to get a plumbers snake and see if we can't unplug it.

No wind again on Sunday, and too gusty on Monday (plus I had a job to finish up, and we decided to drive up to Burly Park for the flea market)...

Maybe we can get out on the water sometime later this week.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

More Boat Prep

Me and Terri drove down to Muskegon this afternoon for a few more boat repairs. We finished putting the two new cleats on the bow, installed a few more curtain rods, and fixed the 'keyhole cover'. We tried patching the swim ladder holes with a product we picked up at Wall Mart, but it turned out to not be the proper stuff. Going to try something else on my next visit. Instead of patching the holes, we ended up giving the topsides a good scrubbing. Nearly ready for launch.

ADDENDUM: Got the phone call from Torreson on Thursday, the 21st, the boat is now floating in her slip. Will perhaps go out this weekend (Memorial Day weekend) to put up the sails and take her for a spin. I found a can of the 'boat patch' that I used the last time we got a 'ding in her side', so I'll bring that along and fill those bolt holes in her side also.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

More Pre-Launch Work

Came out this afternoon to do a few repairs. Fixed the sail tie cupboard door which we had secured with a bungee cord for half the season last year. Took off the old swim ladder support, and will need to do some more work plugging those holes and find a replacement ladder for the one we lost two years ago (I really miss being able to dive off the boat and swim around). I picked up some hardware at West Marine and Torreson's to fix the forward cleats and to also fix the ignition cover. Put up a set of curtain rods over one of the windows (would have put up another, but the stupid package I got from wallmart was missing some hardware). Felt like I didn't get much accomplished, but it is very hard to do a lot of the projects single-handed. The brightwork is looking real sad, and I'd like to get out there one of these days and really devote some elbow grease to cleaning that up. The interior could use a good cleaning and painting job. Really looks kind of dumpy now after that nice boat down in the Virgins, but like they say, 'there's no place like home'.